Monday, February 2, 2009

A Boy & His Guitar


For Christmas this year, my mom picked up a small toy guitar for Grey, who has a bit of an obsession with all things music. It might be normal for a 2 year old but I think it's odd that he's often able to identify an artist after hearing a song play once. This may have something to do with the fact that music plays in our house 90% of the time that we're home- this since Grey was a newborn. Those who know us well know that our combined music tastes range from classic rock and alternative to classical, jazz and hip hop. The only thing you likely won't hear blasting from our iPods is country (although I've downloaded a cut or two over the years). Those who know us won't be surprised by the fact that Grey has an affinity for Pearl Jam. His favorite track of the moment is Eddie Vedder's Hard Sun.


So, this guitar my mom picked up was from World Market and it was a pretty good knock off of a standard acoustic. Much to my dad's chagrin (my dad, the guitar player), she didn't consult him and she tells me that he took one look at the guitar and scoffed in disgust. "You can't even tune it"! Well, he was right. Greyson's eyes lit up upon opening it. A few minutes later, after attempting to strum it and watching the limp strings literally fall off, Grey said "I want a real guitar". (Thankfully, my mom laughed) Within one week, we were down to one string and that one string survived until yesterday. Grey still plays the guitar, even without strings. Although last night, he cried that he couldn't "play like Papa".

On March 21st, Greyson will be 3 and my dad has let the the cat out of the bag that Grey will be receiving a real miniature acoustic guitar. (Shh, don't tell Grey) My dad is ignoring my protests that a 3 year old won't understand the value and as this one is particularly impulsive, there's a chance we may witness destruction a la Guns n Roses or Metallica. We'll do our best to protect, but I'm not making promises!

No comments:

Post a Comment