Thursday, July 5, 2012

Bonjour and Bonsoir

I had meetings in Paris earlier this week so I decided to leave a day early to take advantage of the city and sights on Sunday. I intended to spend my day in the museums but circumstances had other plans.  On the first Sunday of each month, every national museum in Paris is free of charge. This is probably a really great thing for a lot of people but for someone like me*, it means a change of plans. So, I took the Metro from my hotel to the Louvre and walked around the grand entrance (the very famous triangular structure in the centre of the grounds) and then hopped on an Open Tour bus which offers 3 different tour lines and the ability to get on an off at your leisure.

IMG_0211

Paris is a beautiful city- no surprise there- but I have my favourite spots so I rode the bus to Notre Dame and along the Seine and then hopped off in Trocadero and had lunch outside and read a book then walked to the Eiffel Tower (the queues to go up the tower were outrageous!) and soaked up the sun for a bit.  I grabbed another bus and rode some more and then jumped off near Place de la Concorde and shopped the little stalls selling art and trinkets. I’m framing some of my favourite scenes for the kitchen. 5 Euro for 3 prints but I regret not buying a watercolour from a nice toothless man who I think may have painted it himself.

IMG_0173IMG_0188

I probably walked 5 miles (in flip flops) so after 9 hours of walking and riding, I sat on a cafe sidewalk with a glass of Bordeaux and the Tour de France on TV. I finished the day with a colleague and his boyfriend and a traditional 4 hour French meal that began with charcuterie, Foie gras and escargot and ended with profiteroles and creme brulee.  We had canard (duck) as a main course, of course.

IMG_0167

It was a beautiful day in Paris. I just wish Mike had been there to share it with me. 13 days and counting until the boys come back to London. Work is keeping my mind occupied or I would be going mad with missing them. The Olympic torch is coming through our little town in a few days so I might take a break for that. The sun is shining in Wisconsin (I know it’s flat-out hot). I’m thankful the sun was plentiful in Paris; in London it’s a bit elusive.

Happy 4th of July weekend!

*Someone like me = zero patience. Seriously. Zero.

2 comments:

  1. I love how your spelling reflects your current living conditions! I believe we had a discussion about this once; my "favourite" way to spell Gray is "Grey"... all comes full circle :)

    Hope you are well!

    Cheers, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary - my UK laptop does me the distinct "favour" of auto-correcting most words. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete