Tuesday, July 24, 2012

My Guys

I was literally jumping out of my skin last Wednesday night. I couldn’t sleep. I jammed Thursday morning full of meetings and conference calls to keep my mind focused until the plane touched down. I love the iPhone Delta app- I knew the flight was running early and if my Fast Track pass did its work, the boys would hopefully clear customs quickly too. They did.

I knew the boys would be really blonde and tan. I was ready for haircuts and new clothes to make them look different. I expected them to be tired from the flight.  I did not expect them to look so much older! In just under 4 weeks, Graham is talking in full sentences and Greyson has this new ‘maturity’ for lack of a better word and an even bigger vocabulary which was already pretty great (though I’m not a huge fan of “come on!” in response to…well, just about everything). 

Kids in WI2

I was a little worried they’d forget what I looked like and very worried that they would be standoffish, treat me badly or worse, ignore me. Thank God none of this happened. They were all smiles, ready to tell me about their adventures and show me their wares. I’m absolutely ecstatic that they had that time with our families back home, that the weather was unbelievable and they were, for the most part, healthy, happy and well behaved.  I’m just sorry I didn’t get to enjoy any of it with them this time ‘round.  Next year is already being planned with even longer time for the boys and some time for me too.  Knock on wood, the plane rides to and from London were low on drama and high on quiet aside from a few squirmy Graham moments and Greyson’s motion sickness (happens at least once per trip). Graham got a high-five from a fellow passenger and Mike got complements from adoring women (also happens at least once per trip) and a few requisite “you are very brave” comments.

The sun has come out in London just in time for the Olympics so the barbecue is on every night, the baseball equipment is spread across the back garden and the the boys are back on their bikes. We leave for Italy on Thursday where it’s to be even sunnier and hotter so the bright blonde hair and tans will remain a bit longer.

  • Greyson: “Are we best friends Graham?”
  • Graham: “Yeah, best fwends!”

Boys

boys 2

I’m now enjoying a few new pairs of shoes (thank you, Mike…and Nordstrom), Kashi cereal for at least a few weeks and Hershey’s syrup! There are just some things that cannot be substituted.  THANK YOU to our amazing families for making the boys’ summer vacation one they will remember!

Bertottos and Van Zeelands…you’re next! 

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe Graham is riding a 2 wheeler - such a big boy. Your Greyisms & Grahamisms have truly evolved in such a short time. The pictures you take of them are awesome, especially love the one where Graham is standing in front of Grey - shows what good friends they really are.

    ReplyDelete