Sunday, December 21, 2008

Dads and Sons

There's something special about the bond between a daddy and his son. Mike and his dad have a neat relationship- they don't need to talk every day and when they do, they don't need to say a whole lot but the mutual respect between them is palpable. My dad and my brother Nate are very similar- they're bonded in a way that's different from the bond my sister and I have. Not better, but different; special.

I cannot WAIT to watch the bond between Mike & Greyson grow. I watch the two of them now, at 2 1/2, and my heart swells. I'm not an idiot. I realize there will come a time when Greyson won't be able to stand the sight of either one of us, but until that time comes, I'm going to get (in the words of my most amazing photographer) 'schmoopy' every time I watch them together. I can literally smell the 'boy' in them; the sweaty, no-girls-allowed, 3rd and long, bases loaded, sudden-death testosterone. It smells amazing.

My favorite thing of all is seeing the pride in Mike's eyes. Greyson is his. Greyson's throwing arm is his. Greyson's left-handed bat is his. Greyson's 'please' and 'thank you', 'excuse me' and 'sorry'...all his. Mike is an amazing daddy. Just look at them together!






2 comments:

  1. Jessi,
    The additions were awesome. I seriously think you should live the dream you've had of writing (because I know you have sooo much time on your hands) a little sarcasm there. Anyway, you have an amazing way of putting things into words. And I'm not just saying that because I am your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mike and greyson are awesome. he is such a proud and loving father... and YOU are an awesome mom just as much in your own amazing ways. :)

    ReplyDelete