Sunday, December 12, 2010

Everything Happens For a Reason

Everything happens for a reason.  Cliche, I know, but in my experience it’s pretty accurate.  I’m supposed to be in India right now (well, really, am I supposed to be since I’m not?)

I was en route to Baltimore earlier this week when I got the notice that our meetings in Bangalore had cancelled.  So, I changed my flight home and got back 4 1/2 days sooner than expected.  Talk about a gift!  I feel like I was given 5 extra days for Christmas; the most perfect gift at the most perfect time.

God had a plan; this I know for sure. On Saturday, a day I would have been at a party in Bangalore, Mike walked into the ER with stomach pains and I brought him home 10 hours later after an emergency appendectomy.  Talk about a whirlwind.  I’m just so thankful I was here.  Sometimes the best times come out of unexpected circumstances.  Sara picked the boys up for lunch on Sunday so that I could help Mike and he could get some much needed rest.  While he dozed, I made Christmas cutouts and when Greyson came home we decorated them during Graham’s nap.  It was peaceful and fun and this dialogue was my favorite:

  • Me: “I’m having so much fun with you right now!”
  • G: “Do you want to keep me forever?”
  • Me: “I sure do”
  • G: “Well, I live with you!”

I won’t lie; I was excited about India and I hope to make it there early next year. This might be the point where you ask if I’m crazy (I’m not) or wonder if my priorities are in order (they are) or question how I do it, why I do it and if I’m ever going to stop (I question too).

A professional working mom I know once said “Just remember, a happy mom means a happy family.  Whatever formula it takes to get you there”.

I’m a happy mom because I work. I’m a better mom because I work. Not all mothers feel this way and I respect them, I appreciate them and sometimes I envy them but I am not them. I am me. So I ask you to respect me. Appreciate me. Ask me for a play-date even if it’s in the middle of the week.  If I can, I will.  I have a great job with a great company and until I’m ready to throw in the towel, you needn’t do it on my behalf.  I’m a great mom; this I know for sure. Everything else I figure it out as I go.

So, what’s new?  Mike is recovering well.  It’s been all of 24 hours and although there’s some pain and discomfort and periodic sleep, he’s slowly starting to feel better.  Greyson’s on school vacation until January 3rd.  There was to be some skiing in his future but we might have to put a little hold on that; at least until Mike is up and around.  Graham is walking. He can stand from a sitting position without help and although he still prefers to crawl, he chooses to walk more often and he’s visibly proud when he’s doing it.  He’s also quite demanding, needy and thankfully very, very cute.  His #1 book right now is Goodnight Moon and #2 Brown Bear.  His favorite (and only) phrase is “all done”. 

I’m in bed with an under-the-weather Greyson right now so I’m going to sign off and enjoy the sound of his breathing snoring. Before his fever spiked, he drew this, his biggest obsession of the moment. I tried to get him to name the extra reindeer (I HAVE heard that reindeer reproduce quite well), but he started to tire. I’d be tired too after drawing 143 reindeer.

Santa sleigh Grey 2010

And a few more tidbits, just for fun…

 Dec 2010 1 Dec 2010 2 Dec 2010

GREY*isms*

  1. “Oh my gosh. I don’t have powers to fly there.  I need to get powers to fly to heaven”
  2. “I’m putting on a concert…(20 seconds later)…nevermind. It’s cancelled”

GRAHAM*isms*

  1. “Ahh Dun”

5 comments:

  1. I love the picture Greyson drew! You are an awesome mom and don't you ever forget it! Thank you for the pictures & video - they are so treasured! We're all glad Mike is doing well. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jess - this one pulled at my heart (enough to comment). :) I have often wondered HOW you do it, but I never wondered WHY you do it. A working mom doesn't love her children any less and yay for you for knowing enough about yourself that working makes you a better mom. I had to work during Alex's first year and I hated every second of it. Staying at home is for me, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit envious of your round the world trips. You have found what works for your family and your boys are lucky for it. You are a wonderful mom and your family is just precious! Now, if we could just get you back to the Midwest I'd be calling you for playdates - Graham would love my little O. :)
    God bless and a speedy recovery to Mike!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly- I just messaged a friend about how I wished we had lived in Appleton at the same time. Never say never. I know our boys would have so much fun. Thanks for reading and commenting...it means a lot. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I applaud those who are stay at home moms its not for everyone but I also completely understand you Jessi! Even though I don't get the chance to travel as much as you do I am employed full time. I too am a happier and better mom because I work. I stayed home for four months with Reese but found that I was ready to go back to work. It wasn't that I didn't love her and want to be carrying for her, but I was happier with a working routine. Since going back to work it truly made me appreciate my time with her. When I was at home with her I never knew what it felt like to miss her because she was always with me. The excitement of seeing her each day after work is such a great feeling. You are a great mom and I always love reading your blog, you do such a nice job. By the way we are having baby #2 in July and I will be going back full time. Tell Mike I hope he feels better. Hope to see you guys soon! We need to skype again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky! Congratulations! You, Ann and Heather are all very close so it will be so much fun to get together and watch them grow. Just got your card- Reese is getting so big and she's absolutely adorable. Yes, let's Skype! Thanks for the note.

    ReplyDelete