Wednesday, December 2, 2009

On this day 10 years ago…

On December 3rd, 1999, NASA lost contact with the Mars Polar Lander moments before it entered the Martian atmosphere and Mike & I exchanged wedding vows in a ceremony that was memorable both because it was a gorgeous December day in Lake Tahoe and because our officiator sounded exactly like Howard Cosell.

scan0009

We were married in 1999, but we met and fell in love in 1993.  September 20, 1993, to be exact.  I was a Sophomore at Ripon College and he was a Freshman.  He claims he spotted me in the Commons but was too shy to say anything.  I watched him play football and wanted to meet him.  A friend introduced us at a fraternity party and we ended up talking until dawn.  The rest, as they say, is history.  He loved Snoop Dogg, I was obsessed with Ace of Base.  He was quiet, I was not.  We shared a love of football and family.  He owned 3 pairs of wind pants, the ugliest high-top sneakers, an infinite number of sweatshirts and dirty hats that were duct-taped to keep them together.  I wore boy’s jeans, oversized rugbys and Doc Martens.  We both tight-rolled our pants!  Oh, and his head was shaved bald- it was a football team thing.  Did you know that his head is not round?

How hot is this?scan0010

By December of that year, we were talking about our future together.  I’m not sure anyone would have predicted a wedding 6 years later, but that’s how it went down.

Not for one moment of the past 10 years have I looked back with regret, reservations, shoulda/woulda/couldas (well, aside from the terribly ugly wedding cake- I’d change that if I could).  We’ve survived the ups and downs, challenges and triumphs and we’re ready for the next decade and the decades beyond.

scan0017

So, Happy Anniversary, my love.  You are my favorite person in the entire world.  I’m loving every memory; past, present & future.  I can’t wait for our album to expand.  And those duct-taped hats?  They’re really starting to smell up the closet!

5 comments:

  1. I must say I love the black choker that you have on in one of your pictures, I wore those to back in the day. Happy Anniversary!

    Becky Goehler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary to you both! I love this story as it so closely resembles my own - Nate and I met in '94 and married in July '99 and I also have no regrets! It's so refreshing in todays world that couples can truly say that they love each other more now than they did when they first met (even with all the ups and downs that life and parenthood bring). Loved the pictures - brought back so many fashion memories! :)
    Congratulations - wishing you many, many more happy years to come!
    God bless!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky- if I wasn't so tired last night, I would have scanned a lot more. That black choker was just the start!

    Holly- thank you so much! I remember chatting with you about how similar our stories are! I hope to see you at some point when I'm back in WI. I have no doubt you're looking forward to getting back for good! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my lovely! I remember when you and Mike met... I can't believe its been 10 years and am so happy we are still in touch to "celebrate" with you! Graham is beautiful and Grey is already looking to be an awesome big brother. We love you guys are are so happy you and Mike have been blessed with each other and two great boys.

    Love ya,
    Roca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roca- thanks for the comments & I miss you! We go WAY back, don't we? Let's chat soon

    ReplyDelete